Gastric Foreign Body
25 year-old man presenting with nausea and abdominal discomfort, who had ingested dozens of interlocked safety pins.
Left: 77 year-old woman with dementia, undergoing endoscopy for insertion of a feeding gastrostomy tube.
An incidental finding was this cloth-covered elastic hair accessory which the patient had apparently recently ingested.
Right: 69 year-old man with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma, who had a coil-type esophageal stent placed
four weeks previously. The stent has migrated from the esophagus and into the stomach.
59 year-old man who became delerious on an airplane and bragged to other passengers that he would soon be wealthy due to his
illicit activity, later became unresponsive and was brought to hospital. Narcan induced only transient responsiveness. He was intubed
and admitted to ICU. Drug screen was strongly positive for narcotics. Abdominal xray suggested multiple gastric foreign bodies. Endoscopy
indeed revealed numerous pellets measuring 4.5 by 1.5 cm in the stomach, two of which appeared to have ruptured and emptied their contents.
A total of 55 packets were retrieved from the stomach, one by one, over 3.5 hours. Unfortunately, a subsequent xray demonstrated additional
foreign bodies in the intestinal tract. Click here for the remainder of the story.
Endoscopic images Copyright © Atlanta South Gastroenterology, P.C. All rights reserved.
Logo is Registered Trademark ® of Atlanta South Gastroenterology, P.C.
This site is presented for educational and general informational purposes only. It does not purport to offer medical advice for any specific medical condition or individual patient. We regret that we cannot provide individualized medical advice online, either via this web site or via email. Please refer to our "Notable Web Sites" section, which offers links to several excellent online sources of additional medical information.